We are almost halfway through the year and how many of us are still sticking on to our new year resolutions of following a healthy lifestyle? If you feel that you have already lost interest in maintaining your resolution, read the article below. You, being the greatest role model for your child, can make and should make 2017 the year of healthy food choices, healthy lifestyle and eating habits for your entire family.
Having started the year 2017 with a resolution to maintain a healthy diet/ lifestyle, the tips given below can be of enormous motivation to your health modifications. These changes add up in due course paving way for big, positive health results:
· Make it a habit to eat regular, timely and balanced meals and snacks with a variety of nutrient-rich foods.
· Habituate the entire family to start the day with a nutrient-rich breakfast.
· Target on health and not weight. Never put yourself down or talk low about yourself regarding your weight in front of your kids. Don’t give them the false impression that a healthy lifestyle is all about how much they weight.
· Eat together as a family every night or at least whenever feasible.
· During every meal, fill at least half your plate with fruits and vegetables.
· Make at least half of the grains you eat whole grains.
· Stay active. Involve yourself in physical activity during any part of the day and in any form, be it taking a family walk after dinner or a rigorous workout at the gym. The standing instruction is that kids and teens should get at least 60 minutes of physical activity per day, and adults should get two and a half hours per week.
· Follow simple food safety rules, such as washing hands before and after each meal.
· Be positive and never complain about the pain of exercising or your dislike towards eating healthy food. Remember that your child is listening to each and everything you utter out of your mouth, even if you think they’re ignoring you.
· Consult a qualified health professional for better result. A registered dietitian nutritionist is the best person to seek reliable and up-to- date food and nutrition information. Get in touch with reputed dietitians & nutritionists at www.firsteatright.com.
Small steps are the stepping stones to big results leading to a healthier lifestyle.
Dietitian Nutritionist Dr. Nafeesa Imteyaz.